Our infrastructure is broken
Years of inaction have allowed American infrastructure to degrade into a state of disrepair. With yesterday’s release of President Donald J. Trump’s Legislative Outline for Rebuilding Infrastructure in America, the Administration is committed to reversing this sad course.
Here are the facts:
- One out of every five miles of highway pavement in the United States is in poor condition.
- More than 50,000 American bridges are rated as “structurally deficient.”
- Commute times have increased every year since 2009—and more than 40 percent of urban interstate miles are congested.
- Nearly 40 percent of Americans living in rural areas lack sufficient broadband access.
- Lengthy reviews hold up infrastructure projects for years.
- The American Society of Civil Engineers estimates that failing to meet our infrastructure needs will cost us $4 trillion in GDP and 2.5 million jobs by 2025.