The Tilt-Up Concrete Association (TCA) – a non-profit international organization that serves to expand and improve the use of Tilt-Up as the preferred construction method – has announced their 2010 international student design competition: The Concrete Classroom. This year’s program is co-sponsored by the Tennessee Concrete Association.
Graduate and undergraduate students in the field of architecture are invited to present conceptual designs for a new education and training facility for a state concrete association, specifically designed with emphasis on the practical sustainability using site-cast Tilt-Up concrete panels. The competition is an international, open, single-stage ideas competition.
“This year’s program offers the opportunity for the designer of one selected entry to work with the project architect of the Tennessee Concrete Association’s development to modify the design as necessary for construction,” said Jim Baty, technical director of the TCA. “The project will be constructed using technology, design, labor and expertise donated by member of the TCA to achieve this state-of-the-art training center.”
A panel of judges will review entries for the following criteria:
- Creative/Aesthetic use of Tilt-Up concrete in the design solution
- Tilt-Up concrete design – contribution to sustainable solution
- Quality of overall concept, design, layout
- Overall sustainable solution
The registration deadline for entries is Sept. 15, 2010. The question response deadline is Sept. 30, 2010 and the final submissions are due Nov. 1, 2010. Winners will be announced at the TCA Annual Winter Meeting, which is held in conjunction with World of Concrete, in Las Vegas, Nev. on Jan. 20, 2011.
Prizes will be awarded for award winning designs. The awards for the competition are:
First Prize $2,250 (USD)*
Second Prize $1,750 (USD)*
Third Prize $1,250 (USD)*
Honorable mentions are at the judges’ discretion.
* The prize package includes cash to students and reference materials to sponsoring departments (if applicable) as well as up to five free registrations ($500 value) to the 2011 TCA Annual Winter Meeting, free registration to the World of Concrete ($35 each) and $500 travel allowance. Student cash awards for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place equal $1,500, $1,000 and $500 respectively. Prize winners, Honorable Mentions, and any additional projects deemed deserving of recognition by the jury will be published in an issue of Tilt-Up TODAY after the conclusion of the competition. Sponsoring departments will receive recognition for their promotion and involvement as well as a complimentary copy of the TCA resource library consisting of one copy of The Architecture of Tilt-Up and one copy of the 1st Edition Tilt-Up Construction Manual.
For more information and to obtain registration materials, visit www.tilt-up.org/students or call 319-895-6911.